Suzanne F. Thomas
Suzanne Thomas brings a broad range of experience to Flora Pettit. Having begun a general practice in Woodstock, Virginia, some thirty years ago involving residential and commercial real estate, general business law, wills and estates, and domestic relations, she now focuses her practice on the many and varied aspects of real estate together with banking and creditors’ rights. She regularly represents lenders in loan workout issues and foreclosures, working long and hard to obtain the very best outcome financially for all parties, and she deals with a broad range of commercial and other real estate transactions, handling acquisitions, issues of eminent domain, leasing (including cell towers), finance, and other actions needed by sophisticated developers of and investors in the real estate market. Her broad background and long-standing experience in law makes her well-suited to understand and address the many issues arising in often complicated real estate matters, from financing needs to insurance and environmental concerns to resolving title, survey and zoning matters.
Suzanne and her husband live in Harrisonburg, Virginia, both being decidedly lifelong residents of the Shenandoah Valley. While loving the practice of law, she finds time each day for her other favorite activity, running. Suzanne also immensely enjoys winter skiing, church-related discussions and activities and her family.
- Served as first ever in-house counsel to Bowman Apple Products Co., Inc. (now Bowman Andros Products, LLC) for both its Virginia and New York food processing operations, and for its numerous affiliated companies, including Bowman Fruit Sales, LLC and Bowman Orchards, LLC
- Handled the day-to-day corporate legal matters, including acquisition and sale of property and financing, contract preparation and review, environmental oversight and advising, commercial insurance matters and personnel issues
- Negotiated and worked with various local, state and federal agencies in compliance areas, including land use, environmental permitting, immigrant employment and corporate reporting
- Served as the first female Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for Shenandoah County, Virginia, and also the first female Special Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney directing the operation of the multi-jurisdictional drug task force in the 26th Judicial Circuit
- Served with organizations in the United Kingdom and in several third-world countries to study, use and improve their legal systems to assist citizens in various legal matters
- Worked with the Virginia Department of Transportation in right of way and related matters
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Bar Association
- Local Church