Flora Pettit’s construction attorneys advise all sectors of the construction industry including owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals. Our attorneys have the experience and comprehensive knowledge of the industry to understand the entire construction process and various complex issues that might be encountered on a wide array of construction projects. This enables Flora Pettit’s construction team to work proactively with clients to help them avoid certain costly problems and limit risk should uncontrollable problems arise. The construction attorneys at Flora Pettit work closely with other practice groups in the firm, such as the real estate, finance, tax, business counseling, employment, and employee benefits teams to offer efficient and cost-effective legal services relevant to the needs of each transaction, project, or dispute.
Our construction-related services include:
• Contract Formation and Negotiation: Our construction attorneys routinely draft and negotiate custom contracts and can review and modify standard industry forms to meet the special circumstances of any project, including:
- Design Agreements for Architects, Engineers, or other Design Professionals
- Design-Build Contracts
- Owner/Contractor Agreements (lump sum, cost-plus, and unit price)
- Subcontractor Agreements
As part of this process, our attorneys advise clients at the outset of a project to properly define the rights and duties of the various parties to reduce the potential risks during construction and after project completion.
• Construction Disputes: Flora Pettit’s Construction Litigation attorneys counsel, represent and defend clients in proceedings relating to contract claims, warranty disputes, recordation and enforcement of mechanic’s liens, performance and payment bond claims, and in mediation and arbitration settings.
• Real Estate: Our construction practice group, in consultation with our Real Estate Finance and Development lawyers, are experienced and capable to represent a variety of clients including residential homeowners, developers, commercial owners, tenants, investors, lenders, and businesses in the acquisition, use, development, construction, financing, sale and or leasing of real property.
• Employment: Working with our Employment lawyers, the construction team regularly advises clients with regard to employment and labor disputes, including workers compensation, and OSHA compliance.
Michael E. Derdeyn
Attorney at Law
J. Page Williams
Attorney at Law