David H. Pettit
David Pettit has worked in a broad range of business-related areas since 1977. He represents numerous closely held companies in a broad range of industries including shipbuilding, manufacturing, management of clinical trials, health care, consulting services and banking. Much of his practice involves business transactions and resolution of complex and difficult shareholder and partner conflicts. His work also includes contract negotiation and drafting, entity formation and structuring, private issuance of securities, trade associations and certification organizations.
David resides Albemarle County with his wife Carolyn. In his free time he enjoys his family, boating and fishing on the Chesapeake Bay, tennis, exercise and reading.
- Represented purchaser of large marine joinery business in acquisition, operation and ultimate sale of business to a private equity fund
- Represented partner in large real estate development venture in judicial dissolution to resolve partner conflict
- Represented shareholder with undocumented interest in large telecommunications company in negotiations for documentation and ultimate divestment
- Represented media company acquiring small and medium size print publications in numerous states, including an eventual divestment of properties
- Represented plaintiffs in recovery of investments in fraudulent oil and gas venture
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Tax Court
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected to “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business, Business Law, 2008, 2012 - 2019
- Selected to “Virginia Super Lawyers,” Business/Corporate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2006 – 2013
AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
News & Events
- David recently attended the Technical Meeting of the American Sports Builders’ Association in San Antonio, Texas, at which he advised the board of directors and made presentations regarding use of mechanics’ liens and product and facility liability issues. David serves as general counsel to ASBA.
- David has presented several Virginia CLE lectures on topics related to mergers and acquisitions and organization of business entities.
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association, former President; Prior service includes Executive Committee, Chair of Business Law Committee; Representative to Citizen Committee to determine location and design of new local court facilities
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Health Care Sections
- Virginia State Bar, Member, Business Law and Health Law Sections
- Instructor, local and statewide continuing legal education seminars concerning business acquisitions and document drafting
- First year oral advocacy judge – University of Virginia Law School
- Central Virginia Partnership for Economic Development, Board of Directors
- GO Virginia Business Initiative, Vice Chair of the Region 9 Regional Council
- Virginia Discovery Museum, President and Board Member during fundraising and establishment of permanent facility (1984-1988)
- Charlottesville Free Clinic, Pro bono legal advisor (1996)
- Building Goodness Foundation (Pro bono counsel in establishment and operation of charity that supports construction missions in Haiti and Nicaragua; traveled to Haiti in 2000 to participate in work project)
- American Red Cross, former director Charlottesville-Albemarle Chapter, Pro bono legal advisor (1992-1998)
- Farmington Country Club, former Board Member
- Secretary/Treasurer; Chair Membership and Finance Committees (1998-2000)
- Chair of Proxy Committee (2010-present)
- First Presbyterian Church, multiple terms on Session, former Chair of Personnel Committee and Mission Study Task Force; principal drafter of Articles of Endowment, advisor to Endowment Committee, leader in Adult Sunday School
- International Rescue Committee, former teacher of citizenship classes to applicants for naturalization
- Little League baseball coach (9 years)