Seth J. Ragosta
Seth focuses his practice on family law, litigation compliance and commercial litigation. His work in family law includes all issues related to separation or divorce matters including division of assets, custody and support. Seth uses his familiarity with litigation and personal privacy matters to counsel institutional clients regarding subpoena responses, privacy and privilege protection, government investigations and other corporate litigation-related needs. His commercial litigation experience includes contract disputes, property boundary issues and will contests. Seth has considerable trial experience before state and federal courts as well as all levels of appellate courts. Seth is admitted to practice before all federal and state trial courts in Virginia and Massachusetts as well as the Courts of Appeals for the First and Fourth Circuits.
Seth joined the firm in 2013 after practicing in Boston, Massachusetts for several years. He has appeared in matters throughout Virginia and across the country in his civil practice and served as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County in Massachusetts. Seth is currently a member of the 7th District Disciplinary Committee of the Virginia State Bar and serves on the Virginia Bar Association’s Domestic Relations Section Council and Public Services Committee. Seth is an active member and former President of the Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court. Seth is also active with the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association for which he served two terms as Treasurer and was a member of the Judicial Endorsements Committee.
Seth was honored with the prestigious Emerson G. Spies Award for service to the Virginia Bar Association. He has also been selected to the Virginia Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers Magazine from 2016 to 2019. Seth is also very engaged in the Charlottesville community, having served on the UVA Club of Charlottesville's Board of Directors as well as currently serving on the Smart Cville and Salvation Army of Charlottesville’s Advisory Boards.
Seth, his wife Lisa, also a UVA law alum, and their two children love the Charlottesville community and look forward to spending their lives here. They are dedicated University of Virginia alumni. In his free time, Seth enjoys photography, hiking, and reading.
CASE RESULTS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Successfully represented clients in divorce and custody matters, including the resolution of complex equitable distribution and spousal support matters through trial and appeal
- Handled multiple cases through bench and jury trials as first chair counsel
- Handled appeals before all appellate courts in Virginia
- Appeared on behalf of major American auto manufacturer in dozens of dealer network exclusion arbitrations throughout the United States
- Successfully representative large financial institutions in securities regulation litigation related to equities trading, insurance premium calculations and foreign exchange transactions
- Advised trustees and beneficiaries in breach of fiduciary duty, undue influence, will contest and similar cases
- Successfully represented employers against wrongful termination, wage and hour and employment discrimination suits
- Pro bono representation of clients in constitutional rights violation and child custody matters
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Selected to "Virginia Rising Stars," Family Law, Super Lawyers Magazine, Thomson Reuters, 2016 – 2020
- Recipient, Emerson G. Spies Award, The Virginia Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, January 2017 (awarded for “enthusiasm, loyalty and dedication” to the work of the VBA)
- Selected to "Legal Elite," Family Law/Domestic Relations, Virginia Business, 2019 - 2020
- Virginia State Bar
- District Discimplinary Committee (2019 - 2021)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Domestic Law Section - Member, Section Council
- Public Service Committee (2018 – Present)
- Young Lawyers Division
- Executive Board (2016 – 2018)
- University of Virginia Law School Council, Co-Chair (2014 – 2018)
- ABA Awards of Achievement Committee, Co-Chair (2015 – 2018)
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Treasurer (2014 – 2016)
- Judicial Endorsements Committee - Member (2017)
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- President (2017 – 2019)
- Salvation Army of Charlottesville
- Advisory Board Member
- Smart Cville
- Advisory Board Member