Donald D. Long
Don Long concentrates his practice in banking, commercial lending and securities transactions. He also has extensive experience in commercial real estate. Don has represented both borrowers and lenders in complex commercial lending transactions and he has experience and training with Small Business Administration lending transactions. He has represented business and private equity firms in raising capital in the private markets. Throughout his career he has advised businesses in a variety of business transactions including organizational and operational issues.
Don came to Flora Pettit after joining its predecessor firm Feil, Pettit & Williams, PLC in 2001. Prior to joining Feil, Pettit & Williams, PLC he served as General Counsel for Experient Technologies, LLC, a software company and as an attorney with Woods, Rogers & Hazlegrove, PLC. Prior to law school, Don served on the staff of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee.
Don lives in Crozet with his wife Valerie and his boys Davis and Landon. Don spends his time away from work coaching, playing and watching soccer. He also enjoys camping, biking and running.
- Represented national and regional banks in a variety of complex, multi-dollar commercial financings and refinancings
- Represented borrowers in complex securitized loan transactions and in Small Business Administration loans
- Represented banks and borrowers with respect to municipal bond financing transactions
- Assisted numerous companies, including startup and early stage entities, with business formation, angel and venture capital financing, and preparation of critical internal and external contracts
- Serves as general counsel to large, multi-juridictional governmental entity
- Organized limited liability companies and corporations, and drafted, negotiated and filed the associated organizational documents
- Advised clients on the purchase, sale and financing of businesses, including restaurants, manufacturing facilities, and professional practices
- University of Virginia School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, Securities/Capital Markets, 2012 - 2020 (Copyright by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- Selected to “Legal Elite,” Business Law, Virginia Business, 2012
News & Events
- January 2014: Don was elected Vice-Chair of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Joint Airport Commission. Don has served on the Airport Commission for 3 years.
- January – May 2014: Don has been appointed an Adjunct Professor by the University of Virginia School of Law to teach a Transactional Law Clinic for law students. The Clinic matches up law students with early stage companies from the start-up incubator at the University of Virginia’s Darden Business School. The Clinic students provide legal counsel to the start-up companies in order to develop practical experience in dealing business clients.
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Secretary/Treasurer (2006-2007)
- Chair, Young Attorneys Committee (1999-2001)
- Chair, Business Section
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Legal Opinions Committee
- Albemarle County Economic Development Authority, Board Member (2015-Present)
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport Authority, Chair (2017-Present)
- Soccer Organization of Charlottesville Area, Board President (2015-President)
- Thomas Jefferson Area United Way, Board Member (2009-Present)
- Westminster Child Care Center
- President (2005-2011)
- Secretary (2004-2005)
- Board Member (2003-2012)
- Christmas in April Charlottesville, Board Member (1998-2009)
- Leadership Charlottesville Alumni Association, Board Member (1999-2005)