Michael E. Derdeyn
Mike Derdeyn's practice focuses on the areas of commercial and real estate litigation, employment law, and general business law. He also serves as general counsel to a number of local businesses.
Mike’s litigation experience includes litigating claims for individuals and for businesses in state and federal courts in the areas of commercial litigation, real estate, construction, employment, and landlord-tenant law. He has litigated and resolved matters involving partnership and shareholder disputes, trade secrets violations, fraud, business torts, defamation, tortious interference with contract, breach of contract, wrongful termination, discrimination, violations of the Uniform Commercial Code, violations of the Consumer Protection Act, real property disputes, and trust and estate matters, among others. He also has successfully handled numerous injunction actions for employers seeking to restrict competition by former employees. He has been reported in cases in the Virginia Supreme Court and in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Mike’s business law experience includes representing and providing legal advice to a number of local companies in a broad range of industries, including media and entertainments companies, automobile dealerships, construction companies, property managers, and developers. Mike advises his clients on shareholder and partner conflicts. He also provides contract drafting, contract negotiation and employment counseling services.
Mike also devotes time to providing advice and litigation services to residential and commercial property owners in landlord/tenant matters.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- BV Distinguished® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2009 - 2021 (Copyright by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- Selected to “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business
- Civil Litigation, 2009, 2012 – 2020
- Young Lawyers, 2008
- Selected to “Virginia Super Lawyers,” General Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2008 - 2018, 2020
AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Virginia Continuing Legal Education Presenter on various litigation topics, including damages, discovery, and real estate litigation. Topics include “The Anatomy of a Case to Clear Title” and “Neighbor Law.”
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Board of Directors (2008)
- Secretary-Treasurer (2001-2003)
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- Secretary-Treasurer (2000-2001)
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- St. Anne's-Belfield Board of Trustees
- Member (2009-present)
- Chair, Legal & Policy Committee (2009-present)
- St. Anne's-Belfield Alumni Council
- Member (1998 – present)
- Vice President (2003-2004)
- President (2004-2005)
- Music Resource Center Board (2011-present)
- University of Virginia School of Nursing
- Advisory Board Member (2003-2009)
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Blue Ridge Chapter
- Board of Trustees (2000-2005)
- Seminole Lacrosse League (Coach)