Scott M. Raney
Scott Raney focuses his practice on commercial real estate, finance and development. He advises clients regarding purchase and sale agreements, commercial leases, and loan documents, among other things.
Before joining Flora Pettit, Scott spent three years practicing with a prominent New Orleans-based law firm. Scott has represented developers, contractors and builders, and his experience includes negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements and leases, resolution of title issues, and counsel related to zoning compliance and variance requests. In addition to his transactional experience, Scott’s past experience also includes litigation of complex issues arising out of a variety of contracts.
A native of Virginia Beach and a proud graduate of Hampden-Sydney College, Scott worked three years in sales for Ferguson Enterprises in Charlottesville before deciding to attend law school in Louisiana. After receiving his J.D. cum laude from the Paul H. Herbert Law Center at Louisiana State University, Scott practiced law in Baton Rouge and New Orleans before returning to Charlottesville.
The call of their Virginia roots brought Scott and his wife, Liz, along with their sons, Scott, Jr. and Wyn, back to Charlottesville. Outside of the office, Scott enjoys spending time outdoors with his family, playing golf, cooking, and hunting game birds.
- Negotiated and drafted commercial leases, subleases and lease amendments for numerous clients, including leases for office space, medical facilities, restaurants, retail space, hospitality facilities, warehouse space, fabrication facilities, and communications towers
- Guided and assisted clients in connection with sales and acquisitions of a variety of real property – from negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements through closing
- Advised property developers regarding easements, financing, title review and analysis, feasibility studies, zoning and other regulatory compliance issues, and asserting and responding to title objections
- Represented local home building contractors in connection with development, purchases of lots, and sales of completed homes
- Represented lenders and borrowers in a wide range of loans secured by various types of assets
- Virginia State Bar
- Real Property Section
- Virginia Bar Association
- Real Estate Section
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- American Bar Association,
- Young Lawyers Division
- Leadership Charlottesville Alumni Association
- Board Member (2019 – Present)
- Vice Chairperson (2020 - Present)
- Leadership Charlottesville, Class of 2019
- Hampden-Sydney Alumni Association
- Hampden-Sydney Club of Charlottesville
- Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce – Cville Chamber Rising Professionals
- Steering Committee (2020 – Present)